Friday, October 29, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Tonight I had to do something very hard, but something I am definitely not a stranger to.
My Aunt's Rottweiler, Kuffs, has osteosarcoma.  She just found out yesterday.  They thought it was just arthritis for a long time, but this new discovery explains all of the pain he is in.  She is having him put down on Monday.
Tonight, Bentley and I made the drive over to say hello, and goodbye.  Bentley has never met "The Boys" (Kuffs and Sole, her two Rottweilers).  We got there and despite Kuffs being in pain, they played and played and played.  Kuffs did tire out more quickly than usual, but he still seemed to be himself.  Other than limping on the bad leg, he acted a lot better than I was expecting.
For me, it is important that our dogs carry memories.  It is how we stay connected.  My Beagle, Squeak, whom I lost in May, is remembered by Lady, my Lab.  Lady passes her memories and legacy to Bentley, who knows both Lady and Squeak, through Lady's memories.  There is a connection.  They all know each other. 
So when I heard that Kuffs was not doing well, I knew Bentley had to meet him, had to make that connection before it was too late.  I was hesitant to take him along at first, dogs in pain can be unpredictable, but Kuffs has always been as gentle as a kitten.  My Aunt agreed that it was a great idea for them to meet before Kuffs was gone. 
She said she hasn't seen Kuffs play so much or seem so happy in weeks. 
It was the right thing to do.
Bentley made a new friend and memories.  I got to relive mine.  I've known Kuffs for all of his eight and a half years.  I was there when he was a puppy, I was there when they got Sole, I was there when "The Girls" met "The Boys" and all played together in the pond for the first time.  Kuffs always made me feel safe.  Saying goodbye felt so premature, but at the same time, relieving. 
I was relieved that he was still himself.  That he hadn't lost his dignity or lost himself to the pain.  He was still pretty normal.  I think that is important for dogs to keep before they go.
We left with heavy hearts.  Bentley slept all the way home.  But I know that my Aunt is doing the right thing.  The greatest gift we can give our dogs is to relieve their suffering.
Take it easy, boy.  We all love you.

1 comment:

  1. So sad :'( Especially so close on the heels of losing Squeak. I hope you find something to smile about this weekend in spite of the sadness.

    ReplyDelete