Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Alpha

A good sign that you are the Alpha of your pack is that your dogs need to be near you. 
For example, both Bentley and Lady prefer to be near Chris and I rather than further away from us.  They are notorious "Kitchen Dogs" becoming hazardous obstacles in front of the sink, stove, or just lying in the middle of the floor.  I cannot go into the kitchen to butter a piece of bread without a Labby following me and laying down, perhaps to block off my exit. 
If I go to take a shower, they prefer to be in the bathroom rather than outside of it.  And it is not a rare occurrence for one of them to decide that simply being in the bathroom with me is not enough.  They need to actually be in the shower with me.  Yes, I shower with my dogs regularly.  It helps to keep them clean and cuts back on the shedding.  When I had one Lab and a Beagle, they would both fit at once, but now that there are two Labbies, only one at a time, please.
Another sure sign that you are the Alpha of the pack is that you cannot possibly get a Labrador off of your pillow in order to go to sleep.  Or you cannot rearrange their slumbering pose from horizontally across the bed, cutting it in half lengthwise, to a more parallel to a more conventional human sleeping position.  Or when you go to lay on that newly sieged pillow, that it smells like dog feet.  Which, by the way, smell remarkably similar to Fritos.
It is also a good sign if a dog likes to sleep under the computer desk while you are working.  They don't mind if your legs are cramped.  All they care about is that you never, ever, under any circumstances, feel that you may be alone. 
All of these signs say "Yes, you are in charge!"  Or so I tell myself.  I count my blessings.
Its all about the pack.
Be the pack.  And try not to loose your sanity.

1 comment:

  1. The part about the pillow feet smell being remarkably like Fritos made me laugh! I've never had that happen to me, but hahahahahhaaaa!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete