Monday, December 6, 2010

For Jenny :)

So Thanksgiving was a disaster.
I went home.  With my two labs.
I hadn't been home since September.
Lady hadn't been home since July due to her surgery...slippery floors and steps were no-nos for 12 weeks. 
Bentley hadn't been home since I'd been home in September.
It was interesting to say the least, as it was the first year my mom had her own puppy terrorizing the house waiting for us.
However that little puppy, Chip, (Mom was a corgi/shi zhu/poodle mix, Dad was a plott hound/ bluetick hound cross, he looks like a black terrier) had gotten neutered on Wednesday.  He was restricted to the crate.  He barked the entire (and I mean the ENTIRE weekend).
Lady hit the slippery floor like it was no body's business and had me freaking out that she would start limping at any moment.  Not to mention there is a step going from the 'old' part of the house to the 'new' part.  Lady hadn't done steps since who knows when.... So needless to say, she was also restricted to her crate.  She barked the ENTIRE weekend as well.
Bentley had the run of the house for most of the weekend, and was a very good boy.

But I haven't told you the worst part....
Not two and a half minutes after we'd all (Me, Chris, Lady, and Bentley) gotten through the door, but we were all made witness to a major accident.  Bentley was still onleash, the leash being held, of course, and he was on the upper half of the step.  He leaped to jump onto my mom to say 'hi' when he hit the end of the leash and was pulled back by his own force.  It wouldn't have been a big deal, but when he landed, his head came down right on the edge of the step.  The noise it made was so loud.  And then my heart just about broke. 
He locked eyes with me, and was just sooo slow getting up.  And when he finally did sit up, he was holding his front right leg off the ground and was moaning in pain.  It had hit hard, too, at an odd angle.
I almost started crying.
After a few steps he started putting his leg down and he turned out to be fine.  I was worried about a concussion, so I woke him up at least every two hours that evening.
He's fine now, but the vet almost had an emergency call the night before Thanksgiving.  It's a good thing he's insured!!!

1 comment:

  1. AHH! I wanted to cry reading this post, I was so scared for Bentley, and you! After all you've been through this year, you definitely don't need anything else to happen to your puppies!

    ReplyDelete