Friday, November 19, 2010

The Meet and Greet

For whatever reason, all of the dog owners that live in my complex think that their dogs have a right to walk over and 'meet' and maybe even play with any other dog who may be outside at the same time.  I encounter this almost every day with a smallish terrier named Sophie.
Back in August, with a new puppy and a dog recovering from major surgery, neither one could meet dogs when we moved here.  I could not believe how many people would come walking over with their crazy, unstable, out of control dogs to 'meet' either my not completely vaccinnated puppy or my dog holding one leg off the ground!  Are you people stupid?  As soon as they'd get into earshot I'd yell out to them, "I'd rather they didn't meet!"  Well, apparently 'rather' wasn't a stong enough word on some occaisions, as I then had to follow with, "KEEP YOUR DOG BACK!!!" when they kept walking directly at us. 
Once I was walking Bentley and a guy comes up with a Chihuahua and says, "Oh, look at that sweet puppy!  Here, Lena, say hi to the puppy!"  I said, "I'd rather they didn't meet, he doesn't have all of his vaccinations."  And I picked Bentley up as HE KEPT COMING AT US WITH HIS RATTY LITTLE DOG!  I was talking to the property manager, holding a squirming 18lb pup and couldn't believe my eyes when the guy picked up his Chihuahua and attempted to put her NOSE TO NOSE with Bentley.  Then he told me that the dog was just submissive.  I could tell it was a fear biter.  She was pulling her lips back as he was coming closer.  I left. 
Now when people say their dogs have all their vaccinations, they are probably lying.  Most owners just get rabies done, or just get what their vets recommend, and that may leave a couple.  The really bad ones take it upon themselves to buy their own vaccines and vaccinate their own dogs themselves.  TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE 95% OF THE TIME!  Only licenses vets or techs have the knowledge to do that!
Sophie has issues, to say the least.  Her first time 'meeting' Bentley she growled at him, bit him, and tried scratching his eyes out.  All of that happened in less than half a second before I could tear him from her.  I felt so bad.  Ever since then we are wary of Sophie.  The other night walking we passed Sophie and her owner.  Sophie's owner just assumed that my dogs wanted to play with Sophie.  Wtf? Well, Lady'd never met Sophie and needless to say was completely overwhelmed by all of the biting and growling and high unstable energy.  Lady had a look on her face I'd never seen before.  All of her body language said she was about to lose it on this dog.  I said, "You need to move Sophie, Lady is going to do something."  The owner did nothing.  I said to Chris, who had Lady's leash to get her out of there.  It pissed me off that the stupid owner couldn't read her or my dog's body language.  Or didn't do as I asked to keep her own dog safe.  Lady was going to bite her because she was totally ignoring all of the formalities that dogs go through when they properly meet.
On the way back I witnessed a dog yank her leash out of her owners hand while 'playing' with another dog onleash.  Then there's the girl who just lets her dog offleash whenever she sees a dog coming so they can 'play' without getting tangled at all.  She's been fined for having her dog offleash multiple times, but she does it every day anyway.
In puppy class we covered socialization.  No growling, biting, humping, jumping, or ganging up on a puppy.  They were all onleash and if any of those things happened they were removed from the circle until they quieted down.  And even so they only got to 'meet' another puppy for a maximum of 3 seconds.  Give them much longer and they're going to start something at that age.
Now I'm not saying make your dogs antisocial, but beware of other people and their dogs.  Most of them are uneducated and have no idea what they are doing.  If you don't want your dog to meet every single dog out there with heartworms, worms, and God knows what else, you don't have to. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand! We went camping with my parents and they have a black lab (who is a wuss, but that aside) in State Parks they require leashes on all pets. Late in the trip these new people took the spots next to ours and I think they had a black lab as well and they didn't keep it tied up and it kept attacking dogs that would walk by their site. Including TJ. They are STUPID. And they didn't get in trouble either.

    ReplyDelete