Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Dogs Are My Life

When it comes down to it, there are choices I make that I base on my dogs.  And every decision is worth it.  The choice to get Lady.  The choice to get Squeak.  The choice to let Squeak's suffering end.  Adopting Ruby.  Letting go of Ruby's memory when she died an untimely death.  Adding Bentley.  Having Lady's surgery done.  Going to obedience class with Bentley.
I'm a full time student pulling 15 credits with a part time job.  I am in a relationship and I have two dogs, 5 months and 7 years.  Someday I'll look back and say: what was I thinking?  or how did I make that work?
What you love, you make time for.
Bentley is going to be a Therapy Dog someday soon.  Hopefully in June or so.  I've planned my spring semester to fit those classes in two nights a week.  This will pay off, though.  Bentley is the dog that I will have when I (hopefully) have kids.  He's going to be the one there if my parents have to go in the hospital.  He's going to be there for me.
Squeak was my little girl.  I originally got her for my dad, but once it was clear he wanted no part of her, she became mine.  I was her safety.  I was her love.  I was her reason for living.  Having to say goodbye to her was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.  And will be until I have to do the same with Lady or Bentley or anyone else I love in my life.
Lady started it all, though.  I spent 12 years begging for a puppy every birthday and Christmas before my dad relented.  She started it all.  She is my constant.  My companion.  My friend.  My teacher.
I love my dogs.  My dogs are my life.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true!! I miss having a dog so much! Losing such a beloved is so hard, and the work is a lot, but they are worth every second.

    ReplyDelete